It’s safe to say that one of the main concerns of 2020 has been avoiding illness. While our focus has of course been on Covid-19, the pandemic does not change the fact that we’re entering flu season, so there are now even more germs and viruses to fend off. Yikes!
Never fear though, there are amazingly effective ways to bolster your immunity that are both delicious and DIY! So roll up your sleeves and get ready to become an apothecary witch of healing potions. Enjoyed regularly, these homemade remedies will keep you strong and healthy for the whole season.
Immunity Broth With Reishi Mushrooms
Due to their incredible ability to strengthen the immune system, Reishi mushrooms have been used in Eastern Medicine for many years.
Reishi mushrooms are particularly magical when it comes to impacting white blood cells and immune function. That means that these mushrooms can not only help you fend off sickness, but also speed up your recovery if you’re unable to prevent getting under the weather.
While there are many ways of preparing reishi mushrooms, Red Moon Herbs has come up with a simple Immunity Broth Recipe that requires only water, ginger, vegetable scraps, garlic, cayenne pepper and, of course, reishi mushrooms. You can even purchase the mushrooms directly on their website, so it’s a one stop shop! The broth is delicious, soothing, and will keep you healthy throughout the season, so give it a go!
Fire Cider is an old, spicy health tonic that has been around for quite some time, and it’s used to bolster immunity and even cure hangovers. Most enthusiasts recommend taking 1-2 tablespoons a day with a little bit of added water for dilution. The citrus juices can be a problem for your tooth enamel, so dilution is key!
You can buy your own readymade Fire Cider here, but it’s also totally possible to make a super fresh batch yourself! Just be aware that it needs to sit for 4 weeks, so it’s not something you can whip up for that day’s use. But still, make it now so you’re prepared!
1 Horseradish Root (peeled and grated)
1 Ginger Root (peeled and grated)
1 Onion (peeled and chopped)
16 Garlic cloves (peeled)
1 Orange (unpeeled and chopped)
1 Lemon, (unpeeled and chopped)
2- 3 habanero peppers (chopped)
1 Tablespoon of Ground Tumeric
Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Half Gallon Glass Jar with a tight sealing lid
Got your supplies? Awesome! Now all you need to do is:
1) Add your chopped and grated ingredients to your jar. Sprinkle the tumeric over top.
2) Pour the apple cider vinegar overtop until all the ingredients are totally submerged and the jar is full.
3) Lay a square of parchment paper over the mouth of your jar and tighten your lid over it.
4) Store your sealed jar in a dark, cool place for 4 weeks.
5) After 4 weeks time, pour the contents of your jar into a cheesecloth-lined colander positioned over a pot. Allow it to drain for 30 minutes, then press the remaining liquid out of your ingredients by squeezing the cheesecloth around them.
6) Add honey to taste, and store your liquid in a jar. It keeps for up to a year!
Enjoy the taste of wellness this sniffle season and your immunity will thank you!