Jennifer, 37. Lagos, Nigeria.
Leaky gut syndrome is a condition where the lining of the intestines become more porous, allowing undigested food particles, toxins, and bacteria to leak into the bloodstream. This can trigger an immune response and lead to various health issues.
To avoid leaky gut syndrome, consider:
- Dietary Changes: Adopt a balanced and diverse diet rich in fiber, fruit, vegetables and whole grains. Processed foods, and sugar can contribute to inflammation and gut issues so you want to limit those.
- Probiotics: Include probiotic-rich foods like yoghurt, kefir, sauerkraut and kimchi in your diet.Probiotics promote a healthy balance of gut bacteria, and support the intestinal lining.
- Go-to fruit that contain natural digestive enzymes. Fruit like papaya and pineapple, help in the breakdown of food particles and support proper digestion.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Proper hydration is crucial for overall digestive health. Drink enough water to maintain hydration and support the mucosal lining of the intestines.
- Avoid over-use of antibiotics. While great for treating bacterial infections, antibiotics can disrupt the balance of gut bacteria.
- Chronic stress can contribute to gut issues. Practice stress-reducing activities such as meditation, yoga or deep breathing exercises to support your overall well-being.